Sunday, March 06, 2005

Deadline The First

So, I have to pick my courses, fill in a bunch of forms, and hand it all in on Friday.

I can do that. I think.

Of course, this isn't to mention the fact that I also have to get travel insurance for my stay in America by Friday as well. Now, this wouldn't be a huge deal, but I don’t actually know when I’m flying out. So, I figured, let’s stay on the safe side and get 01 Aug 2005-31 Dec 2005. Then I’ll be covered whatever I choose to do. Because you just know something will happen if I fly out without insurance for that date. I went for as comprehensive cover as I could get, as well. I don’t want to be hit with $25,000 worth of medical bills, as happened to my friend Ben when he was hit with a surprise appendectomy in LA last year – his insurance only covered the first $900 dollars. “Do you want to pay by card or cheque, Sir?” No, I could do without that. So hopefully that’s £163.74 well spent. I’m bound to fall in Lake Michigan or something while I’m there.

The marvellous people at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire also want a $100 deposit, which I’ll get back when I arrive. No big problem, except it has to be in the form of an International Money Order, which costs me £10 from my bank. And it has to come by post. I hope it turns up soon. The exchange rate is so awesome at the moment that $100 = £52. I couldn’t ask for a better rate. Let’s hope it stays that way, so my money goes a lot further over there.

I have an appointment with the person in charge of this tomorrow, so hopefully that’ll clear up any problems I still have. I’ll let you know what courses I’ve chosen in due course – I haven’t got a clue at the moment. The modules I choose over there have to be “relevant to your degree course at Winchester”. Well, I do American Studies. Does that make everything relevant?