Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Two Days To Go

As you can imagine, getting everything sorted is a fraught and amusing process.

- I've said goodbye to pretty much all my friends, which is why I've been so busy jetting around the country. It's been hectic to say the least, but there was no way I could go without seeing them.

- I have a pile of papers on the table that I need to go through/photocopy/take with me. I'm bound to lose something, I just know it.

- Because I'm a sensible lad, and because several people have been getting on my case about it, I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow in order to work out just what is wrong with my back. Hopefully, he won't crack it about too much. I've probably just got a couple of bones out of place.

- I'm being forced to get a haircut before I go. I hope you're happy now, Jill!

- I need to reconfirm my flight. Hang on a sec.


...


Sorted! And I don't have to re-check in my baggage at Reykjavik, which will hopefully give me time to nip outside and take some photos. The landscape around the airport is supposed to be stunning, and I just bought a stupidly awesome camera for my trip, and hopefully a great deal beyond.

- And then there's packing. Oh my, there's packing. I don't even want to touch on that right now.

Other than all that, I'm pretty sorted. And it's finally kicking in that I'm moving for four months to another country. Which may seem like a short time, but I've never lived away from home before. And this is going to be away from home. A small part of me doesn't want to go. Fortunately, that part of me is being crushed by the rest of me that's extremely excited, if a little nervous. I'd say it's all come on too soon, but it really hasn't. I just haven't been paying attention.