Monday, September 05, 2005

I Knew There Was Something I Meant To Do

<natali> mark, so why no blog posts?

A question posed to me but minutes ago by a friend. And it's a pretty good question, I'd agree. I've been here a good week, and a great deal has happened, and I haven't had the decency to update my blog! The shame! THE HORROR!

I've been so busy this past week it hasn't even been funny. I won't bore you with the myriad details of my flights (Norwegians everywhere, Iceland is vast and empty, my feet got cold). My experience with my host family can be summed up in one word - amazing. My room was sparse, but with the arrival of my room mate - and a vast quantity of stuff as well - it's beginning to look a lot like home for the next four months.

Class starts on Tuesday. I've been here since Friday last. So, here's a brief list of things I've done.
  • Been to a bar (or two)
  • Shaken more hands than I ever have in my life
  • Forgotten pretty much everyone's names instantly
  • Been to a keg party
  • Been canoeing
  • Removed a virus from my computer
  • Capsized a canoe (that was today, and it was awesome.)
  • Got lost in the Mall of America and bought far too many things (I don't know how that happened.)
  • Slept. Briefly.
Aming other things. But those are the main ones.

So, I keep getting asked what my first impressions of America are. Firstly, it's big. It's somewhat cliched to say that, but it's so true. The people are friendly to the point of being creepy. People are punctual, and woe betide you if you arrive three minutes late, because you've missed the boat sonny jim. On the whole though, it's been more than awesome. I've been a little homsesick at times, but I've been emailing and phoning my family regularly which has been really helpful. The food's alright, I'm able to eat vegetarian quite easily so far. I've made several acquaintances, which has been cool, and I'm looking forward to meeting more when my course starts.

So. All downhill from here.