Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Ice

I've noticed more than a few things different from the UK in this country. For this blog update, however, I've chosen to concentrate on ice.

Now, I don't know how it is in other countries, but we don't place a lot of importance on ice in England. Over here, it appears to be a big deal. Pretty much everyone that gets a drink from one of the machines in the cafeteria fills the glass half full with ice. Which I don't really get, seeing as how the drink's freezing to start with, and you're going to drink it in less than fifteen minutes anyway. The thing's not going to boil up, for crying out loud. I went out to eat in a restuarant last week, and whilst the food was good, they filled my glass of water pretty much to the top with ice. I tell you, it was weird.

Perhaps it's because I don't have much experience with ice machines, and as such always approach one with trepidation. I made the foolish mistake of putting the ice in after the drink the first time I had a go at it. SPLASH CITY! Ah well, I'm foreign, I can get away with that sort of thing. On the other hand, this my be indicative of a deeper difference between the UK and the US, that how in one culture you can get anything you want, but less so in the other.

Far more likely is that I just wasted a few minutes of your time with an pointless update about ice! Hooray!